The history of HERTALAN® goes back to the 1960's when as part of the multinational company Hertel (est. 1895) a foundation stone was laid in our current location of Kampen (Netherlands) back in 1961.
In Amsterdam the Hertel company was mainly focused on the production of rubber seal products for the marine industry. After W.O. II, the company registered strong growth, helped by a substantial growth of the shipping industry and shipbuilding. However, it soon became clear that this growth could not be sustained, so Hertel began to focus on the industrial market.
In order to achieve the division of marine and industrial activities in the early 60s it was decided to construct a new rubber production plant in Kampen. In the mid 60s we cautiously began production of Butyl membranes (for use as roofing material) and in 1968 the rubber factory was extended with a production plant for synthetic rubber membranes (EPDM), later this roofing membrane was named HERTALAN ®.